If the records you need are not listed below, please check back for updates. Records in response to multiple FOIA requests are released on a rolling basis. Contact the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum with any questions. If a particular record is not yet open, you must submit a FOIA Request: How to Submit a FOIA Request.
The records below relate to Brett M. Kavanaugh's service in the White House Counsel's Office and the White House Office of the Staff Secretary under the Administration of President George W. Bush. They were processed in response to numerous requests for Kavanaugh records after his nomination to the Supreme Court in July 2018.
Brett M. Kavanaugh was born in 1965 in Washington, D.C. He attended Yale, earning a bachelor's degree in 1987 and a juris doctor degree in 1990. After graduating, he served as a law clerk for Judge Walter Stapleton of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and for Judge Alex Kozinski of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Following his clerkships, Kavanaugh had a fellowship in the Office of the Solicitor General at the Department of Justice. He then clerked for Justice Anthony Kennedy at the Supreme Court. Next, Kavanaugh served as associate independent counsel during the Whitewater investigation. He moved into private practice and became partner at Kirkland & Ellis.
In 2001, he joined the George W. Bush administration in the White House Counsel's Office. He first served as Associate Counsel to the President before a promotion to Senior Associate Counsel to the President. In 2003, he changed positions within the White House and became Assistant to the President and Staff Secretary until his confirmation as a judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit on May 26, 2006. Kavanaugh was nominated to the Supreme Court on July 9, 2018 by President Donald Trump. He was confirmed by the Senate on October 6, 2018 and sworn in two days later.
Official records of George W. Bush's presidency are housed at the George W. Bush Presidential Library and administered by the National Archives and Records Administration under the provisions of the Presidential Records Act.
Brett M. Kavanaugh's White House Records
- Textual Records Folder Title Lists
- White House Counsel's Office Subject Files
- White House Counsel's Office Emails
- White House Office of the Staff Secretary Files Processed Prior to Brett Kavanaugh's Nomination to the Supreme Court
- Emails Processed Prior to Brett Kavanaugh's Nomination to the Supreme Court
- 2018-0258-F: Kavanaugh Emails Processed in Response to EPIC v. NARA FOIA Litigation
- 2018-0263-F: Kavanaugh Emails Processed in Response to Blumenthal v. NARA FOIA Litigation
White House Records About Brett M. Kavanaugh
- 2018-0009-P: Textual Records on the Nomination and Appointment of Brett Kavanaugh as Judge on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- 2018-0011-P: Records related to Brett Kavanaugh's Service in the White House Counsel's Office from the White House Office of Records Management
- Textual Records Processed Prior to Brett Kavanaugh's Supreme Court Nomination related to His Service in the White House Counsel's Office from the White House Office of Records Management